Free Mahjong Games – The New Addiction For Online Games Enthusiast
Mahjong games have recently been considered to be the new hit among online puzzle games enthusiasts. Let’s join us to dig into our collection of free mahjong games online, with not only the original version but also hundreds of spin-offs that will guarantee an unforgettable time for mahjong lovers.
What are you waiting for mahjong connoisseurs? Challenge your expertise with our free online mahjong entertainment now.
First Thing First, What Is Mahjong?
Mahjong is a traditional Chinese game using different tiles. Specifically, there are 136 tiles, including:
- 36 characters
- 36 bamboos
- 36 circles
These categories make up the suits. They are, in turn, divided into four sets of 1 to 9.
Also, there are 16 wind tiles and 12 dragon tiles in the basic set of mahjong.
This game is played by four players, all of whom pursue the same goal: to get a mahjong, which is equivalent to finalizing all of their 14 tiles into four sets and a pair.
One major alert: you will very possibly find versions of mahjong with extra tiles, 4 seasons, and 4 flowers tiles to be exact.
Sounds pretty intense isn’t it? Trust me, you will get the hang of it after a couple of games in our library of free online mahjong.
Meanwhile, if you want to learn more check out our mahjong tutorial How To Play Mahjong.
The History Of This Magnificent Game
Free mahjong games online are based on a traditional Chinese game with the same name. Many historians claim that this game was first played in the late 1800s and was brought to the US in the 1920s.
Despite being a traditional game, Mahjong was once banned in China in 1949 as the authority, at that time, believed that this game was the embodiment of capitalist corruption. This game was allowed back on the surface in 1985, as a result of the Cultural Revolution.
Despite having written records indicating that mahjong has appeared in America since 1985, it was introduced entirely in the US in the 1920s.
During its introduction to the US market, this game received its most important modification in terms of rule. A man named Joseph Park Babcock published a rule book for this game. This manual was known as the red book. In the red book, Joseph laid out the rule for Mahjong. However, the rule has been made much simpler and streamlined to make it more accessible to the American public.
In1937, the National Mah Jongg League was established, making MahJong even more popular to Americans.
Mahjong Online Games, All You Need To Know
How To Carry Out A Game Of Mahjong?
As mentioned above, the ultimate objective of a mahjong game is to organize your 14 tiles into four sets and one pair.
A set can either be a pung (3 identical tiles) or a chow (3 tile consecutive tiles of the same suit). A pair is quite straightforward to understand.
At the beginning of the game, all 144 tiles will be scattered and shuffled together. Each player will build a two-storage stack consisting of 34 face-down tiles.
The dealer will start the game by rolling the dice, count as many tiles starting from the right of their stack, separate the stack at that point and start dealing clockwise. After the dealer finishes, he will discard a tile and the game continues to his left.
At the start of your turn, you will discard a tile, and then pick up a recently discarded one. If the tile you pick up completes a pung or chow, you will have to reveal the set and the game continues.
During its earlier years in the US, this game was usually played by Jewish women. It was thanks to this demographic group that Americans today can enjoy their own exclusive version of Mahjong.
How Long Does An Average Game Of Mahjong Last?
An average game of Mahjong can take up hours of your day. Crazy, isn’t it?
However, with traditional mahjong online games, the time spent on one game can reduce significantly. This is due to the timing mechanism embedded in many mahjong games. Hence, it would take roughly less than 20 minutes for you to finish a game of mahjong online.
Free Mahjong Games – Best Tips From Mahjong Pros
Mahjong is enjoyed mostly in Chinese communities around the world. However, now you can find variations of this game all over the Internet. To be a proficient mahjong player, simply keep these rules in mind next time you play.
- Pay more attention to the horizontal lines as they are usually harder to remove.
- When matching tiles, always go for those that can free up more new tiles. For example, if you are in possession of a pair that does not open anything, keep hold of it for later use.
- When you have enough matchable tiles to form a set, you must choose carefully and match the one that opens up most new tiles. Matching the wrong set of tiles can lead to a lot of complications in the later stages of the game.
- Consider shuffling the tiles if you find yourself at a dead-end.
Why Do People Enjoy Free Mahjong Games?
From Ancient to modern China, and eventually spreading to the U.S. as a cultural package of Chinese immigrants, Mahjong has become an iconic image of the US-based Chinese community. Moreover, this game is gaining popularity even among Americans. Let’s look at a few reasons for this:
- The social aspect: Mahjong brings people together as it provides a fun yet challenging group activity. Especially for the foreign Chinese community, playing mahjong together allows them to keep a piece of their tradition while staying in a foreign land. Additionally, online mahjong games help you to connect with your friends, no matter where they currently are.
- The strategic aspect of this game: This game requires the player to process an enormous amount of information. Usually, you will have to think and plan ahead your next few moves in order to build the most optimized set of tiles.
- The rich history of this game: As mentioned before, mahjong originated a long time ago in China. With a rich history and many underlying meanings to each tile, this game is not just fun to play, but also entertaining for those who seek to understand more about the enormous history that goes with it.
- This game is fun for all age groups: No matter if you are a college student, a retired veteran, or a middle-aged person, Mahjong will definitely interest you, as this game is not only enjoyable but also challenging and competitive.
The Benefits Of Free Mahjong Games
Similar to many other puzzle games, Mahjong presents many benefits to the players:
- This game helps sharpen the mind as players have to make quick decisions, think ahead, and observe his or her opponents carefully.
- Patience is also something a mahjong player will have. A normal mahjong game can last for many hours. Even online mahjong games, even though much shorter than the physical version, require players to sit for a while to finish the game.
- The modern Mahjong game is very versatile. There are currently six known versions of this game. They are the American, Chinese, Hong Kong, European, Taiwanese, and Riich version. Additionally, people have invented their own sets of rules for personal games.
- Also, there has been research showing that playing Mahjong can greatly assist the battle against Dementia. Scientists in Hong Kong strongly believe that playing mahjong helps with keeping your mind sharp, improving the decision-making process, and so on. This, in turn, positively influences our day-to-day performances, both at work and at home.
Nowadays, it is extremely hard for mahjong enthusiasts to find the time to sit down for a traditional mahjong game. Therefore, free online mahjong games are created to help them enjoy their favorite game in a less time-consuming manner.
Not only is our library of free online mahjong games, there are a lot of new variations for those looking for a fresher experience.
So what are you still waiting for? Gather around and get down to one of the best mahjong games from our collection now!