Play Sudoku Online Games Now: What’s So Great About This Puzzle Game?
With various games that people play online and most are for free, it could be a bit confusing whether which one provides entertainment and fun, or which game offers educational benefits too. Among many educational games out there, Sudoku is quite popular. Why? We’ll get to know the reasons below.
What is Sudoku?
Sudoku is originally called Number Place. This game is a logic-based and combinational number-placement puzzle. The objective of the game is to fill the 9×9 squares with digits so that each row, or each column, and each of the nine 3×3 sub-squares which comprise the grid contain all the digits from 1 to 9.
Sudoku Games: A Brief History
Number puzzles appeared in newspapers in the late 19th century when French puzzle setters started experimenting with eliminating numbers from the magic squares. On November 19, 1892, one daily newspaper in Paris published a partially completed 9×9 magic square having 3×3 sub-squares.
Nevertheless, it wasn’t named as Sudoku since it contained double-digit numbers and it required arithmetic instead of logic to solve. However, it shared some key characteristics of Sudoku like each column, row, and sun-square added up to the same number.
The said puzzle was then refined on July 6, 1895, which was almost considered as the modern Sudoku. The modern Sudoku was designed by Howard Garns and it was first published by Dell Magazines named as Number Place.
In April 1984 in Japan, the puzzle was then introduced by Nikoli in the paper titled Monthly Nikolist which was named as Sūji wa dokushin ni kagiru. This can be translated as “the digits are limited only to one occurrence” or “the digits must be single”. And later on, it was named as SUDOKU.
Tips on How to Play Sudoku
Consider the following tips on how to play sudoku:
- First, look for the easy play. As you begin playing a Sudoku puzzle, you should look for where you have the easiest opportunities to add numbers. In most cases, this is where there is a row or a crowded square which is almost full of numbers. You can use the process of elimination to figure out where you can place a number.
- Look for what numbers are missing. Since sudoku is a game of placing numbers on where they don’t already exist, it is a logical process of elimination. Once a number already exists in a square or a row, then the number could not be placed again. Keep thinking or looking for opportunities to add numbers on where they haven’t been placed already.
- Avoid guessing. This game doesn’t need guesswork. Once you are not sure if the number belongs in a specific spot, you shouldn’t guess.
- Just keep on moving. If you feel stuck, you must not concentrate too much on one part of the grid. Rather, let your eyes and mind wander into a different place on the grid where you have not put any numbers yet and see new possibilities good for you.
- Always re-evaluate. As you place a new number on the grid, always re-evaluate. Every time you put a number, it offers you the chance to possibly put more numbers in nearby squares and rows.
Every game has its rules. With regards to Sudoku, here are some of the rules to take note:
- Use Numbers 1 to 9. A sudoku game is played on a grid with 9×9 spaces. And within these columns and rows are nine squares. Each column, row, and square must be filled out with the numbers 1 to 9, without having to repeat any numbers with the column, square, or row.
- Don’t repeat any numbers. By seeing what numbers are missing from the column, row, or square, use the process of elimination and deductive reasoning in order to decide what numbers to put in each blank space.
- Don’t guess. Don’t try to force anything. Sudoku game rewards insights, patience and recognition patterns and not guessing or blind luck.
What’s So Great About Sudoku?
Sudoku is a popular game for everyone. Well, it is popular for no reason. Here are some of the reasons why:
- Sudoku could be played anytime and anywhere. Since this game is an easily portable game and you can also download it online for free, then you can play this game anywhere. Wherever you are you can simply play this game.
- Sudoku is considered as a global game. Since sudoku is a number game, it is broadly appealing that it could be played by people all over the world. Unlike other puzzle games, you don’t have to be fluent in English. There is also no culture-specific knowledge needed to play this game. Anyone could play Sudoku.
- Sudoku is logical. As a logic puzzle, people would use deductive reasoning as well as search patterns to find out where to put the missing numbers on the grid. Sudoku is relatively easy and simple to learn how to play because of its logical structure.
- Sudoku is fun. Obviously, playing sudoku is fun. It is a relaxing way to spend time. There is something very fulfilling and satisfying about playing Sudoku puzzles. This game gives a great sense of completion and accomplishment.
- Sudoku is good for health. Most people are becoming a lot more interested in brain games which could help us stay mentally sharp, mentally healthy, and keep learning. It is widely believed to help improve brain function as well.
Sudoku puzzles will continue to grow its popularity as more people discover how great and fun these games are.
Benefits of Playing Sudoku
Sudoku is a simple puzzle game, but it offers various benefits which make the game a lot more popular. With easy and straightforward rules and a simple design, there are no hidden pitfalls. Kids and adults couldn’t help but fall in love with the game. And the benefits to gain from playing this game are the following:
- Improves concentration. You couldn’t solve a Sudoku puzzle without proper concentration. This game needs logical thinking and an interruption could break the chain of thought and force you to restart the analysis. The more puzzles to play, the more absorbed you will be, and it will improve your concentration skills.
- It helps reduce stress and anxiety. Sudoku games require you to concentrate on the grid and utilize logical thinking just to find the solution. As you do this, your brain becomes fully focused on the task instead of feeling anxiety and stress. You can regain your sense of balance and be calmer too.
- Sudoku games encourage a healthy mindset. Playing challenging thinking games could boost the vitality. To have a more positive and healthier mindset, you should have a happier and fitter brain too.
- It also helps the kids to develop problem-solving skills. Any kid could try Sudoku. Problem-solving skills are developed due to required logical thinking and the process of trial and error.
- Sudoku games promote a healthy competition. It could be a competition against yourself. Timer is provided to allow you to track your performance. You’ll be faster at completing the grid since concentration and logical skills increase with each challenge. The timer serves as the motivator to encourage a healthy competition against yourself as well as to improve your skills more.
- It also improves thinking skills. Solving sudoku game could be chaotic. But the brain would instinctively begin to find patterns of solutions. You will understand the elements and patterns leading to an easier and quicker solution as the game progresses.
- Sudoku games help you improve your memory and logical thinking skills. Also, it helps to analyze the relation between the part and the whole.
- It is also an affordable kind of hobby. It doesn’t socially discriminate. It could be played by everyone. You only need a logical brain, and everyone is gifted with such.
- Playing sudoku online games also provides a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. This is indeed a self-rewarding game and it has a chance to put your mental capacity and skills to the test, all without having external interference.
These are just of the main benefits that Sudoku online games can provide to people who are playing the game. Play now and gain these benefits too!
So, this is how great the Sudoku game is! You’ll surely find many Sudoku online games for free, and you can play this game anytime, anywhere. It is a popular game played by many these days, not just to spend free time, but also to gain various benefits out of playing the game. Sudoku games offer both entertainment and education perks to the players and these are among the reasons why the game is reaching the peak of its popularity!
How about you? Do you also love playing Sudoku online games? Hit like, leave your thoughts below and share this article.
If you want to learn more check our blog article How to play Sudoku.